This comes out lovely! Give it a shot:]
RecipePrep time: 15 minutes. Naval oranges are a good substitute for tangelos (which tend to be waterier and less acidic that oranges). And any other variety of avocado will work fine. Recipe serves two.
- 5-6 small (golfball size) heirloom tomatoes, slightly under ripe
- 2 tangelos
- 1 avocado
- Handful of fresh, flat leaf parsley
- Juice from one lemon
- Coarse sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pinch dried tarragon
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Some grated Romano cheese
- Remove tangelo peel with knife, getting as much of orange rind off as possible without damaging fruit. Slice into about 4 discs per fruit. Arrange slices on a plate and set aside.
- Chop parsley, slice avocado and cut tomatoes into quarters or halves, depending on size. Place in large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Combine olive oil, apple cider vinegar, about 1/4 teaspoon salt, some cracked black pepper, pinch of tarragon, lemon juice and water in a lidded vessel and shake vigorously until well combined. Pour dressing over veggies in bowl; add Romano cheese and a pinch of red pepper flakes and toss until evenly coated.
- Pile contents of bowl atop sliced fruit and top with an additional sprinkle of sea salt.